2018 ALS Educational Symposium (Atlanta)
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Motor neurons that are responsible for our body's essential fine motor skills reach from the brain to the spinal cord and from the spinal cord to the muscles throughout the body. When these motor neurons die, the brain loses it's ability to initiate and control muscle movement. As this decrease in voluntary muscle action progresses, patients in later stages of the disease may become totally paralyzed and their condition eventually leads to death.
Since it's founding in 1988, the ALS Association of Georgia (ALSAGA) has worked with ALS patients and their families to provide vital services, reliable information, and to ensure the highest quality of life possible. Through the Patient Services Program, the ALSAGA employs staff members who are available to ALS patients and their families from the time of diagnosis. These staff members assess patient need, recommend equipment, and help families plan for the future.
In addition to offering one-on-one patient consultation and medical equipment the ALS Association of Georgia provides:
- An assistive technology program to customize communication devices and train patients and their caregivers on its proper use
- Support Groups for patients, family members, caregivers, and friends
- ALS Clinics staffed by neurologists, speech and respiratory therapists, social workers, and dietitians
- An annual Educational Symposium designed to educate on current medical and psychosocial clinical care standards in ALS
- Hope for tomorrow through ALS Association funded research at Emory University and across the nation
On Saturday, July 28, the ALSAGA gathered for their 2018 ALS Educational Symposium (Atlanta) at the Peachtree Road United Methodist Church in Atlanta, GA. Novis Creative was so blessed to have been in attendance! Enjoy the images and video we were able to capture during this community spotlight.
Special thanks to our event sponsors:
The ALS Association Georgia Chapter | AMS Vans | patientslikeme | R&R Mobility | PRC | National Seating & Mobility | Phoenix Rehab & Mobility | tobii dynavox | Numotion | ResCare Home Care | GeorgiaCares | Angel Worx | ATSDR | Georgia Hospice & Palliative Care Organization | Caring Man In A Van | Hill-Rom | Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care | Amare Home Care Services | Tools for Life | Kadan Homecare